As a professional screenwriter, Jack Sekowski has learned over the years that versatility and variety will keep you employed and in demand. From raunchy teen comedies (2004’s “Who’s Your Daddy,” co-written with Maria Veltre Druse and Andy Fickman ) to more family friendly fare like penning scripts for the Hallmark Channel, Sekowski seems to be a perpetual motion machine, always finding a way to turn a no into a yes.
The Polish-born Sekowski (he and his family immigrated to the U.S. when he was eight) attended Ohio State University, where he became active in their film department, then headed west and attended the American Film Institute (AFI) for grad school. It was this education and background in making films that helped him gain a unique perspective when it came to writing and producing scripts—sort of a holistic approach rather than just strictly from a writer’s vantage point.
His writing philosophy can be summed up in what he wrote on his website: “What I wanted to do is…blend comedy, action, and fantasy, striving to tell emotional Pixar-type stories, both live-action or animated, that positively impact people, entertaining, inspiring, and reassuring them that they’re not as alone in the world as they may have thought.”
In this edition of the podcast Sekowski Talks His Spec Sale To Universal And His Recent Writing Assignment For The Hallmark Channel
You can also read a transcript of this episode.
- Jack Sekowski on IMDb
- Jack Sekowski on Twitter
- Jack Sekowski on Facebook
- Jack Sekowski website
- SYS Podcast Episode 103: Screenwriter Dan Benamor
- SYS Podcast Episode 079: Screenwriter Jan Arado
- SYS Podcast Episode 057: Screenwriter Jordan Imiola
- The SYS script analysis service
- SYS Email / Fax Blast Service
- Free Webinar: How To Effectively Market Your Screenplay And Sell It!
- How did screenwriters on the podcast break into the business? How To Become A Screenwriter