Writer/director Chad L. Scheifele knows a thing or two about making short films. The filmmaker has been involved in making a few, and now is making the leap to feature-film status. “Natural Selection” is his feature debut, based off of his short of the same name made in 2009.
The film is about good and evil, and the decisions that people make in the face of these combative forces. Starring Anthony Michael Hall, Katherine McNamara, Amy Carlson, and Ryan Ryan Munzert, “Natural Selection” gained some traction because of Scheifele’s filmmaking drive and the young ensemble cast and their performances.
There are a few different ways to consider the birth of “Natural Selection,” both as a short and its evolution into a feature length film. Short films aren’t always given much respect by the film-viewing public at large (or even industry insiders), but they do serve an important role. Sometimes, a filmmaker makes a short as part of a demo reel, to show what he or she can do. Other times, the story and the determination may be there, but the budget is not, so a filmmaker needs to get whatever they can made in hopes that later on their short may become a feature.
Scheifele is a Pennsylvania native who has moved out to Los Angeles to continue pursuing a career in filmmaking. He has a few credits under his belt including the short “Moonlight,” about a young man who lays down a bet that could have stunning consequences. He was also co-producer on the film “The Suspect,” about two black social scientists who commit a crime in order to closer study the behavior of small town law enforcement. “The Suspect” stars Mekhi Phifer and William Sadler.
Scheifele seems well on his way to establishing a career in filmmaking. After all, he started on the ground floor making shorts and has already gotten an education about perseverance.
In this week’s episode of the podcast I talk with Scheifele about how he turned his short film into a feature film.
You can also read a transcript of this episode.
- Chad L. Scheifele on IMDb
- Chad L. Scheifele on Twitter
- Chad L. Scheifele website
- Natural Selection Trailer
- Natural Selection on IMDb
- Natural Selection on Twitter
- Natural Selection on Facebook
- Natural Selection website
- SYS Podcast Episode 131: Stephan Bugaj And Justin Sloan Talk About Having A Career As A Creative Writer
- CWC Ep34: Selling screenplays with Ashley Scott Meyers
- The SYS screenplay consultant service
- SYS Email / Fax Blast Service
- Our free guide, “How to Sell Your Screenplay in 5 Weeks!”